Thursday, May 27, 2010

Choose your color ~ getting the best contrast!

I had a customer place a 2nd order this week.  In her notes, she said "We loved the last ones that we ordered, excellent quality, fast shipping, but I should have ordered darker colors. Please send Lime Green and Ice Blue this time. Thanks -Renee".  I want to talk a little about contrasting your colors best.

Most of my vinyl colors that I have available, are BRIGHT and VIBRANT because I tend to design children's wall decor first.  Might be because I have 5 kids?  A lot of people use lighter tones for a wall color.  If you are looking to bring your room "alive", then using the bright colors that give a contrast are best.  Especially if you are working on your children's room.  I think that is what Renee is talking about - she needed more contrast between her wall color and her wall sticker shapes.  The contrast in the colors can make the difference between a wall design that "pops" or just a muted look with colors blending together.

Here is a photo of a saying.  When I was choosing colors, I really wouldn't have guessed that this combination, in this order, would not look good.
The top saying does not stand out like it should.  All you need to do here, is switch the colors around - "FAMILY" should be in the tan color and the top saying needs to be in the chocolate brown.  This is one of my most popular wall word sayings.  Here's a picture of this same thing with the color switched around.  It hasn't been applied to the wall yet, so it has transfer tape over it making it kind of hard to get a clear picture.  But you see already that the top saying is way more visible because it CONTRASTS good with the color below it.

So, as you pick out colors for your wall stickers, don't be afraid to go for the BRIGHT and BOLD.  That will give you the most CONTRAST thereby making your walls STAND OUT!  Children are just tickled pink when they get those wall sticker shapes up and can see how "COOL" their room is.  Children like the bright and bold the best.  You are more than welcome to request color samples so you can see the actual colors before you place your order.

No comments:

Post a Comment